Greetings, AYHA families!
Practice begins October 3. If you are new to AYHA, we
hope that you will find a hockey culture here where families help one another,
and kids learn about personal responsibility and commitment to the team. Here
are some reminders to help the week go smoothly.
1. Check athenshockey.com for your practice time each week. Team practices rarely change days, but they often change times.
2. Game times will be listed at athenshockey.com as they are scheduled.
3. For Week 1, stick to your assigned practice time. Later, we will provide guidelines for players who may want to skate an extra practice.
4. If you spill anything or break anything at the rink, ask the staff to help you clean up. Bird Arena is our hockey home; treat it well.
5. No horsing around in the locker room. No running around in the locker room. Skates are sharp.
6. Players should be ready and waiting to go on the ice 3 minutes before practice starts. They might get on early! Being late is disruptive. Allow enough time to get dressed at the rink, or get mostly dressed at home. Hockey runs by the clock.
7. Players wear full gear to practice. If you need gear, then contact Coach Phil Oberlin ([email protected]) ASAP. Don’t wait until practice. Before practice, the coaches are preparing for practice. If you need help right before practice, ask another AYHA parent.
8. If you know how to put on gear, tie skates, etc., and you see someone struggling, offer to help!
9. Players must wear a mouthguard. One that attaches to the facemask works well. You must buy one.
10. Players should wear a “jock” (for boys) or a “jill” (for girls). You should buy one.
11. Players must WAIT for a coach to INVITE them onto the ice. This is a SAFETY issue.
12. Do NOT try to get the attention of a player on the ice or on the bench at any time. This is a SAFETY issue. Players must pay attention to the play and to the coaches. If you need to talk to your player, get the attention of a coach to send your player off.
13. Players are responsible for their own gear. They should hang it to dry right after practice. They should dry off the skate blades to prevent rust. They should pack and carry their own gear for practice.
14. Remember the Player Code of Conduct and the Parent Code of Conduct. You agreed to these when you registered. Respect the game.
15. Absolutely NO mobile phones or other devices that take photos or movies may be used in the locker room. This is a USA Hockey rule, and good sense.